DOES MY VOTE COUNT?

South Wales Evening Post - 2 March 2007

Within a few months, I feel sure that anguished politicians will be quoted in the media expressing concerns that fewer and fewer people are turning out to vote at elections.

Today I read an announcement that the second phase of Service@Swansea, a scheme that has been repeatedly applauded in the Swansea Leader newspaper, has been scrapped.

Instead, the council will be linking up to a call centre in Cardiff to handle local complaints.

When I made inquiries to the council, I learned that no committee decision based on consultation with staff or stakeholders has actually been made. No report has been published and the matter was not on the agenda at last week's cabinet meeting.

In short, someone in office, in what I understand is an administration without an elected majority, has just decided that this is what will happen. There will not be a debate or discussion on whether this is the correct move or represents value for money.

When my voting cards arrive for the next council election, I will be ripping them up.

C Soloman, Gwydr Crescent, Uplands, Swansea